Monday, December 19, 2011

and here we go ...


when people learn that i was born on 12/24

i often sense sympathy in their reaction

as if the date's proximity to christmas

somehow lessens its importance

or that i am destined to miss out on something


sure ... it is cold outside this time of year

and when i reach school age

any birthday cupcakes will likely be lost in a blur

of hand-print turkeys, cotton-ball snowmen

and a mass of sugary, red & green treats


but on the plus side ...

it is not likely that i will ever have to go to school on my birthday

nor will my parents have to leave the house for work

rather, it is likely that I will be surrounded by many family & friends


what i am trying to say is that no pity is required here

to the contrary, i am excited for the pending festivities !

we are talking about a couple days of presents & parties

in fact, in preparation for this one-two punch of awesome

I have started a light training regimen …


last wednesday we kicked things off with a practice shindig

a pseudo celebratory soiree if you will


mom went all out with cupcakes and crafts


we colored trains and made some holiday themed shrinky-dinks


dad’s star ornament is pictured below [pre-shrink]


extra credit if you can find the finished version on the tree


after enjoying our sweets and exercising our creative muscles

it was time for the main event …


one has to be careful to pace their unwrapping

when dealing with such a back-to-back bonanza of bounty

so I rehearsed the seductive dance of deconstruction

savoring each tear, anticipating the ultimate reveal


after a few days of rest it was time to continue drilling


this time with a focus on the mental toughness required

to look beyond the perfectly good toys in your midst

and focus on the potential reward of the unknown

such magnificent mysteries bound by small pieces of tape


i do not mean to sound ungrateful but …

every moment that I am playing with a boat


is a moment that I could have been

playing with trains !


those that know me well

are familiar with my predilection for locomotives

and as such, will be pleased to know that

last evening we went on a train ride !


not only were we on the train …

but santa and his crew made an appearance

there was a reindeer, a snowman, elves

and even a sweet-smelling gingerbread man


so I repeat …

do not feel sorry for me and the timing of my birthday

i am blessed to have many things

and many great people in my life

sure … sometimes they force me to don goofy headwear


Even though we agreed that I have paid my dues

on the forced hat photo front


but all in all we have a lot of fun


i only hope that you are so lucky

as to share your birthday

and your holidays with the ones you love


If we do not speak again for a week or more …

have a merry Christmas

a happy new year

and a Hawkeye touchdown filled insight bowl !




No comments:

Post a Comment